Zopiclone is a type of sleeping pill that can be taken for short-term treatment of severe insomnia.
It helps you fall asleep more quickly, and also helps stop you waking up during the night. It works by affecting a calming chemical in your brain called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
Zopiclone comes as tablets. It also comes as a liquid for people who find it hard to swallow tablets, but your doctor will have to order this specially.
This medicine is only available on prescription.
- Zopiclone takes around 1 hour to work.
- It’s usually prescribed for just 2 to 4 weeks. This is because your body gets used to it quickly and after this time it’s unlikely to have the same effect. Your body can also become dependent on it.
- Common side effects are a metallic taste in your mouth, a dry mouth, and daytime sleepiness.
- Do not drink alcohol while you’re on zopiclone. Having them together can make you go into a deep sleep where you find it difficult to wake up.
- If zopiclone makes you feel sleepy in the daytime, do not drive a car, ride a bike or use machinery.